Note: Though this guide uses the version
MT-5.0-en, it can be used to guide the installation of versions MT4.x or MT3.x as the install process is nearly identical.
- Download the latest release of MT5: Movable Type Pro or Movable Type Open Source.
- Un-compress the downloaded
MT-5.0-en.tar.gz) archive. Usually just double-click on it.
- Upload (or move) the static directory (
MT-5.0-en/mt-static) via FTP to the web root of the website.
- Update permissions for
mt-static/supportdirectory to 777. More about file permissions.
- Upload the application directory (
MT-5.0-en) without the static directory (
MT-5.0-en/mt-static) via FTP to the
cgi-bindirectory. Rename the application directory from “
MT-5.0-en” to “
- Create a Movable Type configuration file using the Configuration Wizard. Access the Movable Type application (url will be similar to http://www.example.com/cgi-bin/mt/mt.cgi) and Movable Type will redirect you to the Configuration Wizard if Movable Type can’t locate the
mt-config.cgiconfiguration file. Learn more about the Configuration Wizard.
- Create the administrator account. Click “Continue”.
- Create the first website. Click “Finish”. Movable Type will then initialize the database with all the configuration options and settings specified.
- Click “Sign into Movable Type”… you’ve installed Movable Type.
Warning: because the mt-check.cgi script displays server details which could be useful to a hacker, it is recommended that this script be removed or renamed. If renamed, use the
CheckScriptdirective so that Movable Type knows where the script was moved.
- Create pages in the website
- Create a blog in the website
- Complete out your profile, etc.